Why VMware Horizon 7 on FlexPod?
In recent times, we have seen a great deal of value proposition around how Hyper-Converged Infrastructure (HCI) is becoming an ideal platform for hosting all types of workloads including desktop and application virtualization with Horizon 7. Certainly there are unique architectural HCI value propositions such as the collapsed stack providing an ease of initial deployment & ongoing management and policy-driven software-defined server-side storage. And there are a few others such as overall simplicity and pay as you grow options potentially reducing upfront CAPEX costs. And this certainly is driving the next wave of infrastructure platform decision making. As we know though, HCI is an evolution from Converged Infrastructure (CI) based architectures – where we started reaping the benefits of a validated and integrated stack for compute, storage and networking including management integrations. Added with the single vendor support and a modular architecture that fits the bill for all sizes and scale and workloads we have a common set of design principles between CI and HCI. So then specifically for a VDI deployment with Horizon 7, why deploy it on a CI stack such as FlexPod? Like a good consultant will tell you, the answer to this in most cases would be “it depends” on many factors. Let’s look at a few here:
- FlexPod has a strong & mature ecosystem which you can leverage for your specific use cases with Horizon 7 – we looked at this here
- Leveraging existing practices built around FlexPod where your teams are highly experienced in running your data center based on FlexPod design & implementation best practices
- FlexPod provides desired scalability with a cost-performance balance for Horizon 7 for small to large size deployments linearly scaling the Horizon POD architecture to fit your future growth needs
- Built on vSphere, FlexPod leverages storage, compute and management integrations allowing customers to protect existing investment for delivering VDI. These includes storage integrations such as VAAI, VASA and VVOLs and management integrations with vCenter and vRealize Operations
- Scale-Out storage technologies with NetApp providing a similar notion to HCI where storage nodes are added as needed
Read the entire article here, Why Horizon 7 on FlexPod?
via the fine folks at VMware!