What’s new in Citrix XenDesktop 5.6 – PvD
Now XenDesktop 5.6 is out, let go for a blog about what’s new and interesting in this release. It begins with official documentation, RTFM rules apply. Quick note, PvD technology is the integration of the RingCube technology bough by Citrix last year.
What’s New in XenDesktop 5.6
XenDesktop 5.6 includes the following new features and enhancements:
- Personal vDisk – This feature is a personalization solution for virtual desktops. Two new types of catalog allow you to preserve the assignment of users to desktops even when the disk is cleaned at restart; the same user is assigned the same desktop for later sessions. The new catalogs are pooled with personal vDisk (for pooled-static virtual desktops) that you manage with Desktop Studio and streamed with personal vDisk that you manage with Provisioning Services. In addition, a dedicated storage disk is created, before logon, so users can store their data on the desktop, including any applications they install. For background information on this feature, see About Personal vDisks.New commands have also been added to the XenDesktop Software Development Kit (SDK) to support this feature.
- System Center support – XenDesktop now supports Microsoft System Center 2012 Configuration Manager and Microsoft System Center 2012 Virtual Machine Manager.
- Virtual Desktop Agent – A new version of the Virtual Desktop Agent fixes issues in the version included with XenDesktop 5.5.
- Citrix Licensing – Citrix Licensing 11.10 lets you assign access to the License Administration Console using Active Directory Users and Groups.
- Desktop Director – Desktop Director 2.1 supports personal vDisks and contains fixes since the last release. For more information, see the Desktop Director documentation.
- Fixed issues – For information on the issues that have been fixed in this release, see CTX124164.
It looks great but how does Personal vDisk works ? I got it up and running very easily in my lab but now I would like to understand a bit more. I found a cool video on Citrix TV – XenDesktop 5.6 Personal vDisk feature overview :
To learn more and to read the entire article at its source, please refer to the following page, What’s new in XenDesktop 5.6 – PvD- ArchY.net