VMware Storage vMotion Statistics from our customer base
Well, we checked the storage vMotion statistics over the last 30 days and came up with some interesting numbers.
- about 100 infrastructures out of more than 2000 had active storage vMotion migrations during these 30 days
- about 60% were triggered by Storage DRS
- 5855 svMotion events in total
- 179 GB data transfer on average per svMotion
- most of the DRS migrations were triggered during the night (most probably during backup windows and the backup data transfer)
- most svMotion transfers were completed within an hour
More than a year ago the first customer ran into a major issue using Storage vMotion. Honestly in the beginning he didn’t know that svMotion triggered by Storage DRS was the reason. He found out thanks to our vMotion and svMotion report and was surprised how much data was transferred each day and especially each night.
That resulted into a massively slowed down backup of his virtual machines as the storage system and the hosts were mainly utilized by the relocation activities. Checking the daily relocation data transfer made it very clear within minutes that Storage DRS was configured far to aggressive. A small change reducing the automation level solved all the issues and reduced the backup performance several hours.
Read the entire article here, VMware Storage vMotion Statistics from our customer base