VMware Releases Apple iPad App for VMware View
VMware, Inc. (
"The growing popularity of the iPad in business presents a new opportunity for enterprise IT organizations to empower their mobile workforces by providing users with anytime access to business critical apps on the go," said Christopher Young, vice president and general manager, End-User Computing, VMware. "With VMware View™ Client for iPad, employees and enterprises get a win-win combination — a complete, secure virtual desktop solution they trust, paired with the unique touch interface of the iPad employees have come to love in their consumer lives."
Growing Use of iPad in the Enterprise:
Serving families in Southern California, Children’s Hospital Central California is one of the 10 largest hospitals of its type in the United States. Recently, the Hospital deployed VMware View to provide secure, "Follow-me Desktops," that move from room-to-room with clinicians and staff as they treat their patients. The hospital plans to deploy VMware View Client for iPad.
"The iPad could fundamentally change the way our clinicians and staff approach their IT needs," said Kirk Larson, chief information officer, Children’s Hospital Central California. "Now with VMware View™ Client for iPad, our caregivers can have the freedom to access a patient’s electronic medical records anywhere in the hospital via an iPad on a secure VMware View desktop. This could not only improve patient care but may enable us to dramatically reduce costs and simplify device management."
End-User Freedom. IT Control:
VMware’s End-User Computing vision seeks to free end users and IT organizations from more than two decades of complex, device-centric computing and deliver a more user-centric, consumer cloud experience for the enterprise. The new VMware View Client for iPad provides a simple and secure way for end users to access virtual Windows desktops, applications and data from their iPad.
VMware View is a complete, virtual desktop solution that enables enterprises to improve security and lower operating costs, while simplifying desktop administration and management by establishing a modern, end-user computing architecture. The result is a more flexible, centrally hosted computing model that provides IT with greater control and end users with freedom to access to their desktop across the broadest set of devices.
VMware View Client for iPad features include:
- Modern Desktop Experience – The new VMware View Client is the first iPad app to deliver Windows-based virtual desktops while taking advantage of the superior user experience provided by PC-over-IP (PCoIP) display protocol, creating a highly responsive and flexible user experience.
- Intuitive, Multi-Touch Support – Custom gestures on the new VMware View Client enable quick and easy navigation around the virtual desktop by taking advantage of iPad’s Multi-Touch display. An innovative on-screen track pad lets users leverage a more traditional mouse interface with the iPad’s keyboard for efficient text input.
- Secure, Instant-on Windows Desktops – VMware View Security Server support for PCoIP allows for a simple, secure remote connection and authentication to a user’s Windows desktop over a WiFi or 3G network. Reconnecting to a View Desktop(2) is made even easier with the ability to select and connect to a list of recently connected desktops.
- Device and iOS Support – Support for the iPad Keyboard Dock and Bluetooth keyboards makes text input even easier while the iPad VGA connector allows you to connect to an external monitor. VMware View Client for iPad supports iOS 4.2 and iOS 4.3.
For additional details on VMware View, go to www.vmware.com/products/view.
- Read VMware CTO Steve Herrod’s blog on the company’s End-User Computing strategy
- Read more about VMware View Client for iPad on the View blog
- Watch a video tour of VMware View Client for iPad
- Watch a video showing how Children’s Hospital Central California is using VMware View Client for iPad to improve patient care
- See screen shots of VMware View Client for iPad
- Learn more about VMware View
- Follow VMware View on Twitter or Facebook
VMware delivers virtualization and cloud infrastructure solutions that enable IT organizations to energize businesses of all sizes. With the industry leading virtualization platform — VMware vSphere® — customers rely on VMware to reduce capital and operating expenses, improve agility, ensure business continuity, strengthen security and go green. With 2010 revenues of $2.9 billion, more than 250,000 customers and 25,000 partners, VMware is the leader in virtualization which consistently ranks as a top priority among CIOs. VMware is headquartered in Silicon Valley with offices throughout the world and can be found online at www.vmware.com.
VMware, VMware View, and VMware vSphere are registered trademarks and/or trademarks of VMware, Inc. in the United States and/or other jurisdictions. All other marks and names mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective companies.
(1) Microsoft Windows 7 — 32-bit and 64-bit, Enterprise Professional, SP1; Windows Vista — 32-bit, Business and Enterprise, SP1 and SP2; Windows XP — 32-bit, Professional, SP3
(2) Connection speed dependent on network fidelity and available bandwidth.