VMware: Dynamic Pools on EMC Unity All-Flash storage
For Unity All Flash storage, its architecture of Storage Pool is different with Unity Hybrid storage (eg, Unity 350F). This new Pool technology is called “Dynamic Pools”. The following is the difference between Traditional Pools and Dynamic Pools.
- Dynamic Pools do not require Hot Spares
- If a drive within a Dynamic Pool fails, Spare Space within the Pool is utilized
- Spare space will be handled automatically when a Pool is created or expanded
- Spread I/O load over all drives more frequently than traditional pools
- More drives are engaged in the rebuild process
NOTE: Supported on All Flash physical hardware only
The Dynamic Pools can only be enabled on Unity All-Flash storage which is running in OE 4.2 or above. The following is the EMC Unisphere server 4.1.2.
Read the entire article here, Dynamic Pools on EMC Unity All-Flash storage
via the fine folks at VMware!