SMSPassword Introduces Software Based Tokens
In order to facilitate people who don’t have GSM coverage, SMSPassword has released a software based token system. Applications are now available in the Google Play Store and the Apple/iOS App Store. Search for ‘smspassword’,one word, not ‘sms password’.
- The software token system requires more setup than the OTP send by SMS, you need to distribute the private keys to your users.
- This also makes the system less secure than SMS send OTP’s, the private key could be compromised.
- Works when no GSM coverage is available
- No SMS costs
SMSPassword can have three modes of operation:
- Real time SMS based OTP’s only
- A combination of SMS based OTP’s and software tokens
- Software tokens only
Read the entire article here, SMSPassword introduces software based tokens
via the fine folks at SMSPassword.