Learning VMware App Volumes
- Learn how can you deliver a great user experience and drive down storage and management costs
- Discover hidden gems to deliver applications to virtual desktop environments in seconds
- This book will help you fully utilize the true potential of VMware App Volumes and design and build a complete production environment
App Volumes provides a virtualized, real-time application delivery engine for virtual desktop infrastructure and is designed to enable VDI deployments to ensure greater flexibility, agility, and cost reduction.
This book starts with an in-depth overview of the architecture and components used to design an optimized solution. We then show you how to install and configure App Volumes for different use cases such as VMware View integration, using VMware ThinApp, Citrix XenApp, and more.
Throughout the chapters, we provide hints, tips, and tricks as well as best practices. By the end of the book, you will have built a working App Volumes environment and acquired the skills to build and run a production environment.
What you will learn
- Find out how the VMware App Volumes solution can enhance the management and delivery of applications in your desktop environment
- Design a real-life App Volumes solution using best practices and following the recommended sizing guides
- Install, configure, and deploy App Volumes so it is ready to start delivering applications
- Create and prepare applications ready to be delivered to end users
- Discover how App Volumes can enhance other desktop solutions by looking at how it integrates with VMware Horizon View, VMware ThinApp, RDSH, and Citrix XenDesktop/XenApp
- Understand how to configure the advanced options within App Volumes
About the Author
Peter von Oven is an experienced technical consultant and has spent the past 20 years of his IT career working with customers and partners in designing technology solutions aimed at delivering true business value. During his career, Peter has been involved in numerous large-scale enterprise projects and deployments and has presented at key IT events, such as VMWorld, IP EXPO, and various VMUGs across the UK. He has also worked in senior presales roles and presales management roles for some of the giants of IT, such as Fujitsu, HP, Citrix, and VMware, and has been awarded VMware vExpert for 2015 and 2016.
Over the past 10 years and more, Peter has focused his skills and experience by specializing in the desktop and application virtualization market and today works for the market-leading desktop transformation specialists, Liquidware Labs.
Peter got his first taste for writing when assisting with some of the chapters in the book Building End-User Computing Solutions with VMware View, which then lead to four other Packt titles, VMware Horizon Mirage Essentials and VMware Horizon Workspace Essentials, co-written with Peter Bjork and Joel Lindberg, and VMware Horizon View Essentials and Mastering Horizon View, co-written with Barry Coombs.
Table of Contents
- Introduction to App Volumes
- Architectural and Feature Overview
- Designing and Building an App Volumes Deployment
- Installing and Configuring the App Volumes Software
- A Guided Tour of the Management Console
- Working with AppStacks
- Working with Writable Volumes
- Delivering ThinApp Packages with App Volumes
- Horizon View Integration
- Deploying App Volumes in a Citrix XenDesktop Environment
- Deploying App Volumes in a RemoteApp Environment
- Deploying App Volumes in a Citrix XenApp Environment
- Deploying App Volumes in a Horizon View Hosted Apps Environment
- Advanced Configuration and Other Options