KB VMware: VM vMotion fails because of multiple VM registration
A pretty old Knowledge Base article has been updated by VMware as the issue is still existing when running vSphere 6.
Looking at the symptoms mentioned in VMware KB 1005051:
- Virtual machine appears to be running or registered on multiple ESX/ESXi hosts:
- This issue occurs when:
- A vMotion fails to complete correctly or times out in VirtualCenter.
- A DRS issue where virtual machines are migrated by vMotion automatically in quick succession.
- When a machine is powered on during VMware HA failover.
- The Service Console on an ESX/ESXi host is low on memory starving the vpxa process.
- In vCenter Server, you see the virtual machine as appearing on one ESX/ESXi host for a few seconds, then it seems to be on the other.
- The virtual machine may appear to jump back and forth among different ESX/ESXi hosts.
Read the entire article here, KB VMware: VM vMotion fails because of multiple VM registration