It’s Official – VMware To Release Next Version Of Their Desktop Virtualization Solution, VMware View 3.0, On December 2
It’s official, VMware has just posted the official release date for their up and coming desktop virtualization solution (VDI) which was also recently renamed VMware View. VMware has also announced VMware View will ship with not only VMware’s VDI solution formally known as Virtual Desktop Manager but also their application virtualization solution called ThinApp, which was acquired from Thinstall in early 2008, and their new virtual machine provisioning solution called View Composer.
With the upcoming release also comes a slew of names changes that might be a bit confusion for anyone familiar with the now old names. The following names where changed:
- Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) is now called "VMware View"
- Virtual Desktop Manager (VDM) is now called "VMware View Manger 3"
- VMware View Composer is a new feature to enable virtual machine provisioning
- Unified Access is the ability to manage connections to other hosted desktops including Terminal Services sessions.
- VDM Administrator is now called the VMware View Administrator Interface
- VDM Agent is now called the VMware View Agent
- VDM Web Access is now called the VMware View Portal
On a side note, DABCC is currently working very hard on the next version of a detailed step-by-step guide on how to install and configure VMware View so stay tuned for that to be released on December 2nd when VMware View is schedule to be posted!!