Insights from the 2013 Recovery Readiness Survey
A recent study conducted by Cobalt Iron confirmed suspicions that data backup has not kept up with the advancements made in most other IT services. The study found that for most companies it is:
- Increasingly difficult to meet all their backup needs with their existing backup solution
- Almost impossible to know if data restores can be completed within a financially acceptable time frame
- Extremely difficult to manage the complexity of one backup product, let alone multiple backup products
- Critical that data backup and recovery be modernized
- Challenging to know what they should do next to improve their backup situation
The study focused on the challenges businesses are facing today around data backup and disaster recovery and how they can best respond to those challenges. The organizations that participated in the study were a diverse group, represent- ing many different industries and company sizes, as well as a wide range of data volumes in their current data protection systems: some less than 2 terabytes, and some multiple petabytes. The study group also used multiple different backup and recovery solutions to protect that data.