Emulex 16Gb Fibre Channel Technology Enables the Next Phase of Virtual Consolidation for HP ProLiant Server Customers
Emulex Corporation (NYSE:ELX) today announced that its new LightPulse® 16Gb Fibre Channel (16GFC) Host Bus Adapter (HBA) technology is available for use with the HP ProLiant DL and SL G7 systems. The new HP SN1000E 16GFC HBAs are designed to support HP ProLiant Servers with PCI-Express I/O slots to connect to HP Storage arrays, offering backward compatibility with 4 and 8GFC adapters. Supported HP server and storage array models include HP ProLiant DL165 G7, DL360 G7, DL380 G7, DL385 G7, DL580 G7, DL585 G7, and SL390s G7 Servers as well as HP 3PAR Storage Systems, HP P6000 EVA, HP P9500 XP Disk Arrays, and HP P2000 G3 MSA Array Systems. Emulex LightPulse 16GFC technology complements existing HP SAN infrastructure, including 16GFC switches and directors, providing an end-to-end solution.
HP support for Emulex adapters spans across generations and protocols. Customers can leverage a common driver stack and management tools when utilizing Emulex LightPulse Fibre Channel adapters and OneConnect® Fibre Channel over Ethernet and iSCSI adapters, Network Interface Cards (NICs), and LAN on Motherboards (LOMs) in HP data center environments.
"Seventy percent of servers rely on Fibre Channel for shared storage resources1 and the number of virtual machines (VMs) per server is expected to more than double in the next 24 months.2 Our 16GFC HBAs are optimized to provide the performance and scalability required for these growing IT workloads," said Shaun Walsh, vice president of marketing, Emulex. "Customers can now benefit from the world’s fastest Fibre Channel performance with more than one million I/O operations per second (IOPS) on a single port3 across the broad portfolio of HP ProLiant systems and industry leading HP storage."
The HP SN1000E single- (part #QR558A) and dual-channel (part #QR559A) adapters, based on Emulex LightPulse 16GFC technology, are designed for environments with increasing VM density and bandwidth requirements, enabling more applications and VMs to run on a single server and Fibre Channel port, resulting in reduced cabling and a higher return on investment. HP SN1000E adapters also simplify and streamline server and storage SAN connectivity requirements, while maintaining maximum performance, with three times more IOPS per watt, and half the I/O response time of its 8GFC predecessor.3
“Organizations want to optimize data center capacity, increase application performance and improve functionality,” said Tom Joyce, vice president, Marketing, Strategy and Operations, Storage, HP. “The new 16GFC technology in HP SN1000E adapters delivers those improvements, as well as enhanced virtualization, management and power efficiency.”
Additional key features and benefits include the following:
- Industry Leading Performance: The HP SN1000E adapters enable more than five times the IOPS and twice the data throughput4 of 8GFC adapters.
- Better Scalability for Cloud and Virtualized Environments: These adapters also leverage Emulex vScale™, which allows for support of up to 255 Virtual Functions (VFs), 1024 Message Signal Interrupts Extended (MSI-X) and 8192 concurrent logins and open exchanges, enabling support for more VMs than ever before, making it the ideal solution for data centers looking to increase VM densities.
- Manageable I/O: With a single driver model, the HP SN1000E adapters can be controlled, configured and managed from a single console using Emulex OneCommand™ Manager, enabling enterprise scalability with time-saving features that provide more than twice the adapter management functionality and take half the time to install and manage compared to other I/O solutions.5
Emulex OneCommand™ Manager plug-in for VMware vCenter™ Server allows users to manage Emulex adapters across hundreds of servers, natively from the VMware vCenter Server console.
- Data Center Simplicity: The HP SN1000E adapters yield consolidation benefits by enabling a reduction in cards and cables, while saving PCIe slots for other needs.
Read the HP technical whitepaper that explores 16GFC and the many benefits 16GFC HBAs bring to SAN fabrics, even those with an 8Gb backbone.
For more information, please visit the Emulex landing page for HP.
1. TheInfoPro, Server Wave 10, Q4 2010
2. ESG, Data Center Networking Trends, December 2011
3. FCIA standard
4. Based on Emulex Labs benchmark testing
5. Based on Emulex Labs benchmark testing
Emulex, the leader in converged networking solutions, provides enterprise-class connectivity for servers, networks and storage devices within the data center. The Company’s product portfolio of Fibre Channel host bus adapters, network interface cards, converged network adapters, controllers, embedded bridges and switches, and connectivity management software are proven, tested and trusted by the world’s largest and most demanding IT environments. Emulex solutions are used and offered by the industry’s leading server and storage OEMs including, Cisco, Dell, EMC, Fujitsu, Hitachi, Hitachi Data Systems, HP, Huawei, IBM, NEC, NetApp and Oracle. Emulex is headquartered in Costa Mesa, Calif., and has offices and research facilities in North America, Asia and Europe. More information about Emulex (NYSE:ELX) is available at www.Emulex.com.