Citrix Releases Workflow Studio 1.0
Citrix Workflow Studio 1.0 was released this week and is now available for download on MyCitrix to current Citrix partners, and to customers of XenApp, XenDesktop, XenServer, and NetScaler who are current on Subscription Advantage. You can access the download directly here. The Workflow Studio platform will allow our customers and partners to automate processes across Citrix products and with 3rd party products, truly delivering on the vision of transforming a datacenter into a delivery center. I am excited about this release and look forward to seeing what the community thinks and what ideas you have:
- Built on Windows Workflow Foundation – We have modified the architecture from what was in the Tech Preview so that now we leverage Workflow Foundation. Workflow Foundation is a technology that Microsoft released with .NET 3.0 and updated in .NET 3.5. This is a big change that we believe offers significant benefits to our customers as you will be able to leverage existing activity libraries from Microsoft and others. We also benefit from continued development of the platform by Microsoft and if you have developers working with Workflow Foundation they will be able to easily pick up Workflow Studio.
- Database-driven – We now require a SQL Server to store workflows. The benefit to you is that we automatically version your Workflows for you, so your workflows are no longer lost in your file system. Our installer will install SQL Server 2005 Express if you don’t have or don’t want to use a shared SQL Server.
- Job Management – Workflows can now be managed, monitored, scheduled, and run from within the Workflow Studio management interface. This functionality is also exposed via PowerShell snapins, giving you complete control of how workflows are run.
- Integrated Security – There is now built-in security settings that provide granular control over what a Workflow Studio user can do with a workflow.
- Integrated Community Support – Workflow Studio is a platform that our community can add value to in many ways. Sharing your experiences, sample workflows, activity libraries, and feedback will be a critical part of the Workflow Studio experience. We built in native integration with some of the sections of the Citrix Developer Network on the Community tab within the management interface.