The following was recently posted on the SofGrid blog and written by the amazing Sean Donahue.
It is the first in a series of excerpts from text that I wrote with the help of John Flanagan and Brian Kelly. We used this as an extension of the SoftGrid training that we were offering right after the acquisition of Softricity by Microsoft as it is a “transcript” of a lecture I would give. I have broken this into a multi part series to make the whole 37 page original manuscript easier to digest on a blog post. Over the course of the posts we will dig deeper and deeper into the concepts of SoftGrid in a technical nature.
Major Benefits of SoftGrid
The following are some of the major benefits of SoftGrid that we will explore:
· Simplify Operating System Migrations
· Central Management and Control
· Eliminate Application Conflicts
· Simplify Updates to Applications
· Multi Tenancy
· Reduce Server Silos
· Run Multiple Versions of the same application on one system
· Terminate or Retire Applications Easily
· Configuration Control